Sunday, September 11, 2011

A New Lease on the Year

Like ma told me this week, her years roll from school year to school year. So Happy New Years! And with that comes a good time to whip into action after a summer of laissez faire.  

I personally, always have this time period around Thanksgiving, where I watch the Family Stone and I think about the cute outfits and how I want to fit into similar looks in the upcoming year. Because being a little fashion obsessed is a hobby. And then I don't exactly spring into action to achieve this...... (I'll start at New Years!). This year I am starting now. 

Restarted Weight Watchers two weeks ago! I have to give a shout out to my recipe and walking buddy Brandi! After starting to mark up Brandi's cookbook with post its, and going through about 100, I decided to purchase the book, and did so on our walk home from work on Friday. So this weekend I made Garlic and Herb Roasted Cornish Hens, Roasted Fall Vegetables with Pears and Walnuts and Carrots and Bell Pepper Salad. Evidence first:
Like how I crossed the carrots for added effect? I'm kind of into the art of "plating" but REALLY am lacking in the skill. 

 I confess that Justin helped with the cornish game hens, because, like I knew what they meant by stuffing the seasoning under the skin (he told me how to do it, so in the end I DID actually do it myself).

Recipes as follows (don't tell WW that I am totally plagiarizing their book right now):

All three recipes were super tasty. My only recommendations are to only make enough of the roasted vegetables you can eat in one serving (not so good re-heated) and to add the chick peas to the salad (gives it more substance).

Also this weekend we watched this terrifying food documentary. I HIGHLY recommend it! As in, go watch it NOW. It is streaming on Netflix: Forks Over Knives.
I have always been annoyed with western medicine's "treat the symptom not the cause" mentality and this documentary really drives it home. At least watch it and give it some thought. If you don't have Netflix access, email me and I will give you our log in to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment